4 Fun Ways To Decorate Graduation Caps
How to Decorate
Decorating a room is a fun way to express your creativity, but it can get stressful and overwhelming, too! Taking it one step at a time, from choosing a style to decorating your walls and placing furniture, will keep you on track to finish without breaking the bank. The room of your dreams is just a few steps away!
Finding Your Style
Go with a sophisticated, classy style for an elegant look.A more sophisticated style sticks with simple black, white, and grey colors, often with an accent color like pink or blue. If you choose this look, you’ll be decorating with more formal pieces and accessories that evoke elegant jewelry.
- You’ll want upscale furniture and pieces for a sophisticated look, like traditional lamps and well-made textiles.
Try a modern, graphic look with statement pieces and unique designs.Contemporary styles tend to be more minimalist, with a few bold pieces and comfortable spacing. You’ll look for furniture with clean lines and blocks of bright color, with very few frills or adornment on any piece.
- You can also jazz up your contemporary look with geometric or abstract pieces and bright, popping art.
Choose a country feel for a style that’s cozy and casual.A comfy country style—think Americana or French country—is a great choice if you want your room to be warm and inviting. You’ll go for laid-back, cottage-like styles with low-maintenance, lived-in furniture and decorations.
- For a country look, plush furniture, warm wood tones, and natural fabrics like cotton and wool are great choices.
Go with a retro or vintage look for a style that’s throwback and unique.Playing with different eras in your decoration style can lead to a look that’s all your own! You can go with a lush Victorian-inspired look or something a little more recent, like a 50s diner style. Whatever you choose, you’ll be combining flea market furnishings with an interesting collection of art and accessories.
- Remember that the older the age you’re trying to replicate, the more expensive your vintage pieces are likely to be.
Choose a world chic style to showcase different cultural elements.If you’re passionate about traveling or just inspired by different cultural and regional looks, a worldly style is a great way to create a unique, cohesive look. You can use Scandinavian, Asian, African, or American Indian styles to give your room a cultural flair with accents like rugs, throw pillows, and vases.
Decorating the Walls and Floor
Repaint your walls for a totally new look.If you’re looking to completely overhaul your style, repainting your walls is a good place to start. You’ll want to do your painting before anything else, since the color you choose will determine the furniture and flooring decisions you make. Buy a brand that doubles as both paint and primer, which will last longer.
Wall Colors and Styles
White or off-white:to make your room large and bright.
An accent wall:for a pop of color that’s not too overwhelming, or to showcase a piece of art or furniture.
Wallpaper instead of paint: for an interesting pattern.
Bright shades instead of bland colors:for a bold look, using shades like melon orange, rich scarlet, or vibrant blue.
Cluster colorful hats or baskets on the wall for cheap, unique decorations.Hanging pictures and art are a great way to decorate a wall, but for an interesting, distinctive look, trying hanging woven baskets or large hats instead! Collect them in different sizes and patterns, then lay them out on the floor in pretty arrangements. Hang them with nails or small hooks.
- If you can’t find the basket colors you want, get plain ones and decorate the interiors with craft paint. Place them on the wall so the interior of the bowl is facing out.
- You can hang hats like fedoras, skimmers, or trilbies, facing the top of the hat outwards. If you don’t have any hats, try hanging statement necklaces instead!
Hang wall brackets or shelves to pop out art pieces.You can utilize your walls for storage space as well as decorations. Install 1-3 small, simple shelves on your walls, choosing colors that match your overall scheme. Fill them with pictures, artwork, trinkets, or books.
- You can even switch out the items on your shelf to match the season or your mood.
Frame interesting paper or other materials for a burst of color or texture.You can spice up your plain wall color by framing a length of matching wallpaper or even gift wrap and hanging it on the wall. For a look that’s even more unique, hang materials like metal sheets, punched tin doors, or woven screens.
Create a gallery wall with art or photos.You can make the room into your very own art or photo gallery! Choose a selection of art, photographs, and wall hangings in different sizes and complementary colors. Set them in simple frames and arrange them on your wall in whatever way looks best to you.
- Depending on the style of the room, you can also opt for more ornate, intricate frames for a vintage look.
Hang mirrors to give your room interesting dimensions.It’s true—mirrors really do make a room look bigger! They’ll bring more light into your space, too. Try hanging an oversize mirror on one wall, or go with a few smaller pieces for a salon-like style.
Replace your flooring or use carpets to give your room a polished look.You don’t have to get new flooring to decorate a room—a neutral floor color, like soft brown or cream, can go with nearly any paint color. If you do want to try something different, look to hire professionals to make sure the job’s done right, or try installing it yourself if you have some experience.
- Hardwood flooring is classic choice that looks good in just about any room. For a cheaper option, go with laminate flooring—it’s less expensive and easier to install, but looks just as good!
- Carpeting is cheap and comes in fun colors. It’s also easy to clean with a good vacuum cleaner.
- Whether you go with carpet or hardwood, an area rug can instantly change the look of your room. It can also protect the flooring in high traffic areas.
Choose a comfy sofa that matches your style.If you’re decorating a living room, a sofa is a must; if it’s a bedroom, you might want to go with a comfy armchair. Either way, look online and in furniture stores for a comfortable sofa that matches your room’s style.
What arms do you want?Rounder arms make the sofa more traditional. Go with straight arms for a more modern look.
Sectional or stand-alone?Sectionals work great in casual places like a TV room. Stand-alone couches are perfect for a more stylish, elegant look.
What kind of fabric?To disguise stains, especially if you have kids or pets, go with cotton velvet in a dark color. Leather is great for a more elegant, put-together look.
Add a small table to hold books, magazines, and other miscellaneous items.If you want to set out things like books, magazines, candles, or structural art pieces, tables are the way to go. You can also keep the table clean and reserve it as a holding area for keys, cups, and other items.
- Make sure to match any tables to the room’s style. Use a spare, sleek table for a more minimalist look, for example, or go with something wooden and home-y for a country style.
Get creative with storage space in ottomans or tables with drawers.Even in a large space, adding whole cabinets or bookshelves can clutter up a room. Instead, look for furniture that includes storage areas, like hollow ottomans or sofas and tables with drawers.
- This gives you extra storage space and useful, multi-tasking furniture pieces.
Add chairs or stools for plenty of seating options.In a living room or kitchen, chairs or stools are a must, especially if you have a large family or entertain often. Remember to look for pieces that match your overall style.
- For example, you could set out simple metal stools for a contemporary look, or comfortable rocking chairs for a style that’s more vintage or country-inspired.
Fill out your room with any area-specific pieces.A bedroom obviously needs a bed, while a living room typically comes with a TV and entertainment center. Finish furnishing your room with any items you know will need to go in it, scouring stores and online retailers for furniture that fits your style and practical needs.
- Try to match these necessary items to your style as well! For example, you can get an entertainment center with a plain black finish and thin shelves for a contemporary style, or go with something more ornate for a vintage, Victorian look.
Adding Smaller Touches
Hang or place plants around the room to add a touch of nature.Plants can bring life and energy to your room, and you can set them up in unique ways to maximize your space. Try hanging small planters or mounting a few leafy greens on your wall. You can also set small pots on a windowsill or on tables that get a bit of sunlight.
- Good household plants include succulents, spider plants, common ivy, peace lily, and philodendron.
- You can also set a bouquet of flowers on a table for a pop of color. Arrange several of the same kind of flowers loosely in a cylindrical vase.
- Use fake plants if you can’t put yours in an area of sunlight or don’t want to handle the upkeep.
Add throw pillows for pops of comfy color.A few small, colorful or patterned throw pillows can brighten up a room and make your couch or chairs look more inviting. They can look great with any kind of decorating style, too. Look online or in furniture stores for pillows with fun patterns and matching colors.
- For a more modern, minimalist room, go for an odd number of pillows with a solid color or pattern.
- For a more traditional look, arrange 2-4 pillows symmetrically, going for velvet, silk, or a mixture of patterns and fabrics.
Use floor or table lamps to light up a room in interesting ways.No matter what room you’re decorating, stylish lamps can give it a unique look and sense of drama. If the room is small and low-ceilinged, a tall lamp can make it seem taller and lighter. In a larger area, the soft pools of light provide a warm, cozy glow.
- Choose a lamp with a funky, elaborate shade for a vintage or eclectic-styled room, For something more minimalist, go with a lamp with clean lines and simple, bold colors.
Add curtains and window decorations for a luxurious feel.To add a more elegant look to your room, go with long, fabric curtains that you can draw back and close as desired. If you want to control the lighting without an elaborate look, go with simple blinds or light shades in a solid color.
- You can also hang small stained-glass decorations in your windows to catch the light and add a burst of unexpected color.
- Remember to set a budget before you start decorating and stick to it as well as you can! Look up typical prices for different items and set realistic goals for what you’ll need to spend.
- You can buy furniture, art, decorations, and other decorating supplies online and in home stores.
- Check out Pinterest, blogs, magazines, and design books for more style inspiration.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Русский: , Italiano: , Português: , Deutsch: , Español: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: 4 Fun Ways to Decorate a Cake! Gemma's Bold Baking Basics Ep 34
How to Insert a Cannula
How Much Hair Loss is Normal An Expert Tells Us theAnswer
The Secret to Healthy Cooking
5 Happy Things: Fruit That Looks Like Animals Edition
How Your Boobs Change in Your 20s, 30s, and 40s
How to Order Jordans Online
How to Crochet a Bow
11 Amazing Fall Books to Add to Your Reading List
19 Side Effects Of Caffeine You Should Be Aware Of
Slow Cooker Chocolate Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
20 Jaw-Dropping Hairstyles For Oval Faces